Thank you for your reading and interest in the news German naval assets to join Mediterranean mission by August, says minister for Middle East and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - The first German naval vessels to participate in Operation Irini, the EU naval mission to enforce Libya’s long-flouted arms embargo, will join in August, German minister Niels Annen said.
Mr Annen told The National that Germany’s naval commitment to the European mission was proof of its continuing support for Operation Irini, which had been a product of the Berlin Conference on Libya in January.
“Germany is already contributing with a maritime patrol aircraft as well as positions in the headquarters of the operation. We are planning to contribute naval assets by August 2020. This underlines our government’s high political support for IRINI and the Libyan peace process,” Mr Annen said.
“By strengthening the arms embargo, the operation takes up a major element of the conclusions of the Berlin conference and translates it into concrete action and an EU added value,” he added.
The German minister of state said he was “very happy” the EU had managed to launch Irini in “merely two months” after the conference.
The EU’s naval mission, which became operational at the end of March and was agreed in February, has been tasked with enforcing the 2011 UN weapons embargo on Libya through the use of aerial, satellite and maritime assets.
However, since the mission became operational, it has been marred by infighting between EU members and was slow to begin a full launch. Many member nations are still considering which assets to pledge.
Greek and French vessels have joined the mission, but the Greek frigate Hydra will remain at a naval station on Crete before it joins full-fledged patrols at the end of May.
Malta, which had pledged specialised boarding personnel to the UN mission, withdrew its participation earlier this month in an apparent bid to influence the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Turkish government that backs it.
Mr Annen explained logistical considerations had meant not all assets had been pledged to Irini and focus on the mission had been diverted by the coronavirus outbreak.
“In an organisation of 27 member states, the co-ordination and deployment of military capabilities for a new operation requires thorough planning and logistics,” he said.
“These days, we are facing additional challenges with mitigating the consequences of Covid-19. Nevertheless, Operation Irini started its activities shortly after its establishment.”
Mr Annen said the Berlin Conference on Libya had been aimed at the international community rather than the conflicting parties themselves. He explained that the pledge to respect the arms embargo and commitment to return to the political process had been a “necessary result”.
There had also been some “encouraging progress”, the German minister said on negotiations in Geneva under the 5+5 format.
At the same time, further violence in Libya has hampered talks. As fighting intensified around the capital, Tripoli, in February, first the GNA and then eastern politicians aligned with Field Marshall Khalifa Hafter’s Libyan National Army (LNA) withdrew from the talks.
“What Berlin has accomplished is to provide a framework for talks about a political solution and a ceasefire. After Berlin, we had the so called '5+5' military talks in Geneva under UN leadership, which resulted in a draft ceasefire agreement,” he said
“We and our partners continue to engage with all relevant Libyan actors with the aim that this draft will be signed and implemented.”
The UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Anwar Gargash, has also called for “an immediate, comprehensive ceasefire and a return to the political process”.
“The UAE’s position on the Libyan crisis has been firm and clear & shared by the majority of the international community,” he wrote on Twitter on Tuesday.
When world powers met in Berlin at the beginning of the year, a fragile truce had been brokered by Turkey and Russia. Following the drafting of a ceasefire agreement in the military talks, tentative hopes that a fully fledged ceasefire could be achieved were ultimately dashed.
In the succeeding weeks the violence has escalated. In the past month, GNA forces, bolstered by troops from Syria and Turkish air and logistical support, have achieved a succession of military victories in the west of Libya.
The LNA, which is backed by France, Egypt, the UAE and Russia, was forced to give up control of the strategically significant Al Watiya airbase on Monday, a position the eastern-aligned forces had held since 2014.
Mr Annen said Germany would continue to condemn violence in Libya. “After a period of relative calm we now have a period of escalation in the fighting. There are instances of indiscriminate shelling of residential neighbourhoods and civilian targets. This is unacceptable. We condemn these attacks in the strongest terms,” he said.
The German minister said for stability to return to Libya, it was crucial the arms embargo was adhered to.
“We need a commitment from all international partners to respect the arms embargo – from supporters of both sides of the conflict. It is simply unacceptable that we are seeing continued arms exports to Libya, including by partners who were present at the Berlin conference,” he said.
Mr Annen said Germany would, in the future, look to use more options to bolster the embargo.
“We are still exploring options to do even more, for example in our role as chair of the UN Sanctions Committee. This could include more frequent reporting by UN experts and clearer communication of findings on breaches of the embargo,” he said.
Updated: May 20, 2020 09:09 PM
These were the details of the news German naval assets to join Mediterranean mission by August, says minister for Middle East for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.