Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Iraq denies MP’s claim that France, Germany and Australia requested to withdraw troops and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Iraq’s Joint Operations Command has denied a claim by a member of its security and defence committee that France, Germany and Australia asked Baghdad to prepare for their forces to leave.
The office of Badr Al Ziyadi told The National on Monday that Paris, Berlin and Canberra had officially submitted a letter to set a timetable for the exit of their troops.
“Their request has been to set up a timetable for the withdrawal of their troops. The next government will take the responsibility of setting the timetable and the exit strategy for foreign troops.”
But Major General Tahsin Al Khafaji, the spokesperson of the Joint Operations Command, denied Mr Al Ziyadi’s claim that the three nations had submitted any such request.
When contacted again by The National, Mr Al Ziyadi’s office said the request was only made verbally by commanders from the three countries to the Iraqi Joint Operations Command, and not communicated by letter.
There was no immediate confirmation of the verbal request from Paris, Berlin or Canberra, and the proposed timetable for the withdrawal remains unknown. The National has contacted the French, German and Australian foreign ministries for comment.
Germany has a training mission in the country and its Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer visited Baghdad on January 15 in a surprise visit to meet with Iraqi military chiefs amid uncertainty over Berlin’s military presence in the country.
Speculation about the presence of foreign militaries in Iraq comes at a time of heightened tensions between the US and Iran. Those have centred on Iraq after the assassination of Qassem Suleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, last month in a drone strike at Baghdad International Airport.
The killing prompted mass protests and revenge attacks against US bases in the country. The US and protesters have for months railed against Iran’s growing influence in Baghdad.
Suleimani is believed to have ordered the brutal crackdown on protesters that massed in Baghdad and in southern cities that threatened the rule of the government.
The Iraqi parliament voted last month to call for the withdrawal of US forces from the country. Germany said it would reduce its troop numbers in Iraq for security reasons following the death of Suleimani. Canada said it would move some of its 500 troops out of Iraq and relocate them to Kuwait.
The US sent a letter to the Iraqi military joint operations command last month concerning a possible withdrawal of its troops from the country, but it did not state that all of its troops would be immediately withdrawn.
Updated: February 10, 2020 03:12 PM
These were the details of the news Iraq denies MP’s claim that France, Germany and Australia requested to withdraw troops for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.