Libya rival parleys end without ceasefire deal

Libya rival parleys end without ceasefire deal
Libya rival parleys end 
without ceasefire deal

We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Libya rival parleys end without ceasefire deal in the following article

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - GENEVA — Talks between representatives of Libya's warring parties in Geneva this week ended Saturday with no deal on a ceasefire but the UN has proposed a second round of negotiations for Feb. 18.

The talks aim to end fighting between the UN-recognized government in Tripoli and eastern-based military commander Khalifa Haftar, the latest conflict to hit the North African state.

"As both sides agreed to the need to continue the negotiations in order to reach a comprehensive ceasefire agreement, the (UN mission) has proposed 18 February 2020, as the date for a new round of talks" in Geneva, the UN said.

UN envoy Ghassan Salame earlier said the two sides agreed on the need to turn their truce into a full ceasefire but there were "points of divergence".Five senior officers from the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) and five appointed by Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) took part in the talks as part of a "military commission" set up in broader peace negotiations.At a summit in Berlin last month, world leaders committed to ending all foreign interference in the country and to uphold a weapons embargo to help end the long-running civil war.The oil-rich country has been torn by fighting between rival factions since a 2011 Nato-backed uprising killed longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi and toppled his regime.

More recently, Field Marshal Haftar's forces launched an assault in April on the GNA's troops in Tripoli. Field Marshal Haftar's forces are mostly based in the east of the country. — AFP


These were the details of the news Libya rival parleys end
without ceasefire deal for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV UK health minister offers parliament more say in coronavirus measures
NEXT Hamas in Gaza 'strikes deal to reduce violence'