We show you our most important and recent visitors news details Burkina Faso rocked by new militant massacre in the following article
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - OUAGADOUGOU — At least 10 men have been killed in a jihadist massacre at a village in Burkina Faso, which is in the grip of a years-long insurgency, security and local sources said on Tuesday.
"We are talking of between 10 and 30 dead" in the assault, which targeted the village of Silgadji in northern Soum province, said a security official.
The attack was launched on Saturday and militants were still in the area on Monday, a resident in nearby Bourzanga town said by phone, citing accounts from those who had fled.
"The terrorists surrounded the people at the village market, before separating them into two groups. The men were executed and the women were ordered to leave the village," the resident said.
The security source said: "Security teams are trying to get to the site but access to the village has probably been booby-trapped with homemade mines, and they are having to proceed carefully."
Militant groups have killed almost 800 people in Burkina Faso and displaced 600,000 more since the start of 2015, when extremist violence began to spread from neighboring Mali.
The attack comes after a massacre of 36 people at two villages in northern Sanmatenga province on January 20, prompting President Roch Marc Christian Kabore to declare two days of national mourning.
Located in the heart of the vast Sahel region on the southern fringe of the Sahara, Burkina Faso is one of the most impoverished countries in the world.
Its army is ill-equipped and poorly trained to deal with the threat although in recent months commanders claim to have killed roughly 100 militants.
The assaults typically entail fast-moving jihadists who arrive on motorbikes, often attacking market places.
There are 4,500 French troops deployed in the region, which are now backed by armed drones, as well as a 13,000-strong UN peacekeeping force in Mali.
They support the forces of the "G5 Sahel" anti-terror group — Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger.
The day after the attacks in Sanmatenga, the Burkina parliament adopted unanimously a law allowing for the recruitment of local volunteers in the fight against militants.
Volunteers aged over 18 will be given 14 days military training, after which they will be given small arms and other communication equipment.
The recruits would be expected to conduct surveillance and provide information and protection for their communities in the event of an attack while waiting for security forces to deploy, according to Defense Minister Cheriff Sy.
According to UN figures, jihadist attacks in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger last year claimed around 4,000 lives. Hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.
"This is the world's fastest-growing displacement crisis," Jan Egeland, the former UN under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs, said during a visit on Monday to Barsalogho, a small northern town that has taken in 10,000 people.
"In February 2019, there were 60,000 displaced people in Burkina Faso. Today, there must be more than 600,000," said Egeland, who is now secretary general of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC). "People are frightened."
"This figure could rise to 900,000 by April," Egeland warned, charging that donor governments had failed to grasp the gravity of the crisis. "The violence continues to force people to leave their homes." — AFP
These were the details of the news Burkina Faso rocked by new militant massacre for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Saudi Gazette and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.