Netanyahu corruption indictment filed after he withdraws immunity plea

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Netanyahu corruption indictment filed after he withdraws immunity plea and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - His main rival Benny Gantz says 'no one can run a state and at the same time manage three serious criminal cases'

US President Donald (left) gestures while greeting Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu (right) upon his arrival at the South Portico of the White House, in Washington. EPA

US President Donald Trump shakes hands with Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu. EPA

US President Donald Trump meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House in Washington. Reuters

US Vice President Mike Pence (left), US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (centre) and Senior Advisor to US President Trump Jared Kushner (right) sit beside members of the news media in the Oval Office during the meeting of Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu. EPA

US President Donald Trump (left) greets Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu (right) upon his arrival at the South Portico of the White House, in Washington. EPA

US President Donald Trump (left) greets Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu (right) upon his arrival at the South Portico of the White House, in Washington. EPA

US President Donald Trump listens to Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu. EPA

43f76c50ce.jpg

The National

Jan 28, 2020

January 28, 2020

SHARE

shares

Israel's attorney general on Tuesday officially filed the indictment against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in three corruption cases, kick-starting the trial against the country's longest-ever serving premier.

It came after he decided to drop his request for parliamentary immunity from corruption charges.

Mr Netanyahu is currently leading a caretaker government ahead of the country's third election in less than a year while under the cloud of a criminal corruption indictment.

The announcement came hours before he was to meet in the White House with President Donald Trump for the unveiling of a long-awaited US peace plan.

"A few minutes ago I informed the Knesset speaker that I'm withdrawing the immunity request," Mr Netanyahu wrote on Facebook. "I won't let my political opponents use this issue to disturb the historic move I'm leading."

The Knesset, Israel's parliament had been scheduled to vote on Tuesday morning to convene a committee to debate and eventually rule on the request.

"In this fateful moment for the people of Israel, while I'm in the US on a historic mission to form Israel's final borders and ensure our security for future generations, another immunity circus show is due to open at the Knesset," Mr Netanyahu said.

Mr Netanyahu denies the charges against him and says he is the victim of a politically motivated witch-hunt.

His opponents had already mustered a majority in the legislature to deny him immunity.

Mr Netanyahu's decision opens the way for Israeli authorities to go ahead and set a date for the premier's trial on charges of bribery, fraud and breach of trust.

It could even open before March 2, when Mr Netanyahu seeks reelection in a general election which pits his right-wing Likud against the centrist Blue and White party in what is likely to be a close contest.

Following Mr Netanyahu's announcement, Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit said he had presented the charge sheet to the Jerusalem district court, a formality he had refrained from hitherto "to enable a debate on the prime minister's request for immunity from parliament."

The court will now set a date for the beginning of the trial.

Updated: January 28, 2020 04:22 PM

These were the details of the news Netanyahu corruption indictment filed after he withdraws immunity plea for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV US base commander calls Chinese Guam attack video 'propaganda'
NEXT US coronavirus cases surpass 7 million as Midwest outbreak flares up