Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Iraqi officials unite against US presence in the country and now with details
Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - The Iraqi government said on Tuesday that it will “not back down” from supporting parliament’s decision to expel foreign forces from the country, as a populist cleric called for protests against outside meddling.
Baghdad is caught in the midst of tensions between the US and Iran following the killing of Quds Force commander Qassem Suleimani earlier this month.
Suleimani was Iran’s top external enforcer and oversaw pro-Iranian militia across the region.
The death of the commander on Iraqi soil pushed the parliament to expel foreign troops from the country, including US forces. The vote was a non-binding resolution meaning that the government is not legally bound by parliament’s resolution.
But the US State department said it will not hold discussions with Iraq regarding US troop withdrawal from the country.
“The government will not back down from supporting parliament’s decision to remove foreign forces from Iraqi territory," Prime Minister’s spokesperson William Warda said in a statement.
“Iraq will not sign a new deal to keep American forces in the country,” he said.
A strategic framework agreement signed in 2008 between Washington and Baghdad called for a close defence co-operation to deter threats to Iraqi “sovereignty, security and territorial integrity".
The government's call comes as an Iraqi political alliance, affiliated with Iran, threatened US troops with military escalation if they refuse to withdraw from the country.
The Iran-backed Fatah alliance has the second largest bloc in parliament.
“The Iraqi government is required to take measures to end the presence of foreign forces in the country, " head of the bloc, Muhammad Al Ghabban, said.
Mr Al Ghabban warned that any “delay by the American will result in an escalation and military confrontation”.
Populist cleric Moqtada Al Sadr called late on Tuesday for one million people to take to the streets against the presence of US troops.
"Iraq's land and sovereignty is being violated by invasive forces," Mr Al Sadr said on Twitter.
"I'm calling for a peaceful one million man Iraqi revolution to condemn American presence and its violations in Iraq,” he said.
Iranian-backed militias and a US-led military coalition have both helped Iraq defeat ISIS, which overran a third of its territory in 2014.
They have also been embroiled in a proxy conflict in Iraq and elsewhere in the region.
The Iraqi ambassador to Brussels, Sadiq Al Rikabi, discussed with Nato’s Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, the recent attacks on Iraqi soil.
“Iraq rejects the attacks on its land and considers it a violation of its sovereignty,” Mr Al Rakabi said.
The Iraqi ambassador said that Baghdad is co-operating with international partners to reduce escalation and tensions between the US and Iran.
Mr Stoltenberg affirmed Nato’s “respect for Iraqi sovereignty and its co-operation with the international community to combat terrorism”.
Updated: January 15, 2020 10:00 AM
These were the details of the news Iraqi officials unite against US presence in the country for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.