Philippines to evacuate millions of citizens from Middle East

Philippines to evacuate millions of citizens from Middle East
Philippines to evacuate millions of citizens from Middle East

Thank you for reading the news about Philippines to evacuate millions of citizens from Middle East and now with the details

Jeddah - Yasmine El Tohamy - MANILA: Two Philippine Navy vessels set sail for the Middle East on Tuesday to evacuate overseas Filipino workers amid rising tensions in the region.

President Rodrigo Duterte commissioned the BRP Davao Del Sur and the Del Pilar-class offshore patrol vessel BRP Ramon Alcaraz to enter the operation at Manila’s South Harbor.

He said it was “a sacred mission” to save the lives of more than 3 million Filipinos living in the Middle East. “That is not a joke. It runs into millions, men, women, and their families, and their children,” he said.

The vessels have 130 crew members each, with an additional 100 medical, repair and SEAL personnel to support them.

Tensions have been high in the Middle East since a top Iranian general, Qassem Soleimani, was killed in a US airstrike. Iran retaliated by launching missiles at an air base in Iraq used by US forces.

Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad said the journey to the Middle East would take between 16 and 22 days. Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac is scheduled to fly to Saudi Arabia this week to personally assist in the evacuation effort.

The Department of National Defense said that requests for repatriation in Iraq, Libya and other countries in the region had been received by Philippine embassies and consulates, and that exit clearance documents had been processed.

The government’s repatriation team in Doha consists of diplomats who are exploring all possible routes by commercial airlines from Baghdad and Irbil in Iraq to Doha, and then on to Manila.

These were the details of the news Philippines to evacuate millions of citizens from Middle East for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Arab News and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Afghan government calls for ceasefire as historic peace talks with Taliban begin
NEXT Hamas in Gaza 'strikes deal to reduce violence'