China defends barring rights chief from Hong Kong

China defends barring rights chief from Hong Kong
China defends barring rights chief from Hong Kong

Hello and welcome to the details of China defends barring rights chief from Hong Kong and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Human Rights Watch executive director US Kenneth Roth said he had hoped to spotlight China's human rights abuses. — AFP pic

BEIJING, Jan 13 — China today defended barring the head of Human Rights Watch from entering Hong Kong, saying non-governmental organisations were responsible for political unrest in the semi-autonomous city and should "pay the proper price".

Kenneth Roth was supposed to give a press conference in Hong Kong this week to unveil the New York-based group's latest global survey, but he said on Sunday he was turned back by authorities at the city's airport.

China last month announced sanctions on American NGOs, including HRW, in
retaliation for the passage of a US bill backing Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement.

“Allowing or not allowing someone’s entry is China’s sovereign right,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a regular press briefing.

“Plenty of facts and evidence show that the relevant NGO has through various means supported anti-China radicals, encouraged them to engage in extremist, violent and criminal activity, and incited Hong Kong independence separatist activities,” Geng said.

“They bear major responsibility for the current chaos in Hong Kong. These organisations should be punished, and should pay the proper price.”
Hong Kong has been battered by nearly seven months of occasionally violent protests, its biggest political crisis in decades.

Millions have turned out on the streets of the semi-autonomous financial hub to demand greater democratic freedoms.

Roth said he had hoped to “spotlight Beijing’s deepening assault on international efforts to uphold human rights” during his visit to Hong Kong.

“The refusal to let me enter Hong Kong vividly illustrates the problem,” he said. — AFP

These were the details of the news China defends barring rights chief from Hong Kong for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Afghan government calls for ceasefire as historic peace talks with Taliban begin
NEXT Hamas in Gaza 'strikes deal to reduce violence'