Human Rights Watch head denied entry to Hong Kong ahead of new report launch

Human Rights Watch head denied entry to Hong Kong ahead of new report launch
Human Rights Watch head denied entry to Hong Kong ahead of new report launch

Hello and welcome to the details of Human Rights Watch head denied entry to Hong Kong ahead of new report launch and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Human Rights Watch executive director US Kenneth Roth speaks during a press conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil October 16, 2019. — AFP pic

HONG KONG, Jan 13 — The global head of Human Rights Watch said he was denied entry yesterday to Hong Kong, where he was scheduled to launch the organisation's latest world report this week.

Kenneth Roth, the group's executive director, said he was blocked at Hong Kong airport from entering for the first time, having entered freely in the past.

During seven months of sometimes violent anti-government protests, the Chinese-ruled city has barred several activists, foreign journalists and an academic.

“This year (the new world report) describes how the Chinese government is undermining the international human rights system. But the authorities just blocked my entrance to Hong Kong, illustrating the worsening problem,” Roth said in a post on his Twitter account.

He added that Hong Kong immigration officials had cited only "immigration reasons."

The Hong Kong government had no immediate response to Reuters' questions about why Roth was denied entry.

Human Rights Watch, based in New York, had been scheduled to release its 652-page World Report 2020 at the Foreign Correspondent Club in Hong Kong on January 15.

Roth would now launch the report on January 14 at the United Nations in New York, the organisation said in a statement.

“This disappointing action is yet another sign that Beijing is tightening its oppressive grip on Hong Kong and further restricting the limited freedom Hong Kong people enjoy under 'one country, two systems',” Roth said in the organisation's statement.

Human Rights Watch said a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs official had threatened to impose unspecified “sanctions” against it and several US-based pro-democracy organisations in early December. Neither Beijing nor Hong Kong authorities have since provided further details, it added.

Many people in Hong Kong are angered by what they see as Beijing's ever-tightening grip on the city, which was promised a high degree of autonomy under a “one country, two systems” framework when the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

Beijing denies interference and blames the West for fomenting the unrest. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Human Rights Watch head denied entry to Hong Kong ahead of new report launch for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

NEXT Hamas in Gaza 'strikes deal to reduce violence'