Greece sends letters to UN over Turkey-Libya deal

Greece sends letters to UN over Turkey-Libya deal
Greece sends letters to UN over Turkey-Libya deal

Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Greece sends letters to UN over Turkey-Libya deal and now with details

Hind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Greece has complained to the United Nations in two letters that object to a new maritime boundary deal between Turkey and Libya.

Athens has asked for the matter to be addressed by the UN Security Council, a government spokesperson said on Tuesday.

The country's foreign minister also convened a meeting in Athens to brief political party leaders on developments. The deal, endorsed by Turkey's parliament last week, has fueled regional tension, particularly over drilling rights for gas and oil exploration.

The agreement would give Turkey and Libya access to an economic zone across the Mediterranean despite the objections of Greece, Egypt and Cyprus, which lie between the two geographically. All three countries have blasted the deal as being contrary to international law, and Greece expelled the Libyan ambassador last week over the issue.

Government spokesman Stelios Petsas said Greece sent one letter to the UN Secretary General and one to the head of the UN Security Council on Monday night detailing Greece's position. He said the letters noted the agreement "was done in bad faith and violates the law of the sea, as the sea zones of Turkey and Libya are not neighboring, nor is there a joint maritime border between the two countries".

The letters also note the deal "does not take into account the Greek islands" and their right to a continental shelf and exclusive economic zone. The agreement has also not been ratified by Libya's parliament, Mr Petsas said, rendering it "void and unable to affect Greek sovereign rights."

Neighbors Greece and Turkey, although Nato allies, have tense relations and are divided by a series of decades-old disputes, including territorial issues in the Aegean Sea, and have come to the brink of war three times since the 1970s, including once over drilling rights in the Aegean.

"Greece will do whatever is needed, and it knows what to do, in order to defend its sovereign rights," Mr Petsas said. He added that the letter to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres asked for the deal not to be published by the organisation's division for ocean affairs and the law of the sea.

Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias raised the issue on Monday at a meeting of European Union foreign ministers in Brussels, garnering clear statements of support from some of his European counterparts.

"I want to tell Greek society that the country is dealing with the very serious problems with seriousness and confidence," Mr Dendias said after briefing party leaders on the issue.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said some of the bloc's members were concerned, but that the EU would study the deal further before deciding whether to take action.

"It's clear that it is problematic. It poses major concerns to certain member states, in particular Greece and Cyprus," Mr Borrell said, adding that "we are going to be studying this question very closely, being clear that any agreement must respect international law."

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that he was ready to send troops to Libya if requested by the internationally recognised government in Tripoli.

"On the issue of sending soldiers... If Libya makes such a request from us, we can send our personnel there, especially after striking the military security agreement," he said in a televised appearance.

Turkey signed a military agreement last month with Libya's Government of National Accord, led by Prime Minister Fayez Al Sarraj.

Updated: December 10, 2019 08:36 PM

These were the details of the news Greece sends letters to UN over Turkey-Libya deal for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at The National and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Italy gives Ocean Viking migrants permission to land after week of failed requests
NEXT Sahel allies have ‘shifted the dynamic’ in fight with extremists: Macron